Vocational Rehabilitation Service Project for Migratory Agricultural Workers and Seasonal Farmworkers with Disabilities: Pennsylvania
To support federal efforts to achieve the full integration and participation in society of people with disabilities, we provided educational, training and advocacy services to/for migrant and seasonal agricultural workers with disabilities. The project identified and recruited eligible individuals and helped them and their families attain such services as rehabilitation for work-related injuries, career counseling, job training, job placement and occupational skills training. This program served as the model for the New Jersey program, which began in 2001.
Provided or coordinated the following services:
- Vocational evaluation,
- Case management,
- Peer mentoring,
- Restorative and rehabilitative services,
- Health and wellness training,
- Assistance with job placement and
- Retention and transition services.
- Developed a Spanish language guide for non-Spanish-speaking state vocational counselors and other service providers to help them serve their Spanish-speaking clients.
- In one year alone (2011), served 143 persons, with 31 (22%) achieving favorable employment outcomes.
Select counties in Pennsylvania
US Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services